Pages

  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Google+
  • RSS Feed

Monday, July 22, 2013

I'm Saschka Unsel,and this is how I work

 





Saschka Unseld is the writer and director of Pixar's feature The Blue Umbrella. The Blue Umbrella tells the story of two umbrellas that falls in love (I know it sounds stupid but play along). Prior to The Blue Umbrella, Saschka worked on Toy Story 3, Cars 2 and Brave. Here are his favorite apps and gadgets, and a peek at his seriously cool workspace.

Location: San Francisco, CA; Currently in the Tendernob
Current gig: Working on Pixar's next feature, The Good Dinosaur, in the staging and layout department. All the while also writing of my ideas and scripts.e
Current mobile devices: iPhone and iPad mini
Current computers: Macbook Air (for Pixar work and private; Linux Box (for Pixar work)
One word that best describes how you work: Calmly

What app/software/tools can't you live without? 

Going on walks to think and relax. On the software side: RSS reader (currently Feedly), mobile photgraphy apps (currently Ogg, Camera+ and Instagram), Gmail,a Kindle for script reading, and iaWriter, WriteRoom, and Final Draft for iPad for writing.

What's your workspace like?

Two vintage chairs and a coffee table for relaxed reading and writting, a Marshall speaker/amp with my old iPhone for music, a Zassenhaus hand coffee grinder, and tiny french press for coffee breaks, and a standing desk for Pixar work, and a big black pinboard for specially mapping out visuals and ideas.


What's your best life hack?

Having breakfast at my local cafe every morning before heading to work. It makes me get up early, makes my brain start thinking about the day, and it makes me happy.


What's your favorite to-do list manager?

Emailing myself, and any.Do for iPhone.

Besides your phone and computer, what gadget can't you live without?

Public transit.

What everyday thing are you better at than anyone else?

Being calm and being and being on time.

What do you listen to while you work?

I go through phases. Sometimes I need music, sometimes I need quite. I started listening to Steve Reich Ensemble's "Music for 18 Musicians" for writing though (based on a tip by Micheal Chabon) and am absolutely loving it.

What are you currently reading?

I'm in the process of reading myself through the WGA top 100 scripts.

What's your sleep routine like?

It depends on my mood. I can do very late nights without much sleep before getting up, but I also enjoy hitting bed before 12. I prefer to get up between 6:30 and 8 am though.

What's the best advice you've ever received?

"Remember ideas become things.'






 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff